Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-26 nosler Login/Join 

Picture of semperfi
posted
Does anyone have a 338-26 nosler reamer? any plans in the works? from what i can find on the net it should yield 100 fps over the 330 Dakota. Anyone have more info
on this? Too many xp's dancing in my head and its not even xmas yet!

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Redding will probably make dies in their custom line for it. We got someone 30 Nosler last week...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19883 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
just exploring possibilities, will probably wind up building a 330 Dakota.
Nothing wrong with that! How is the recoil with 285 amax and Holland radial brake?
Can you get full view with a rifle scope?

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd be surprised if you could get a full field of view with the 330 Dak. I'll let you know when I get mine done.... If you're thinking about a 338 Nosler you should also look at the rum. It would be cheaper in the long run, with off the shelf dies, brass, load data, etc.

I've thought about building a 338L, edge, rum or something similar. But I don't want it to be too much to shoot. My 300 RUM isn't comfortable even with a holland gen 1 brake on it. Probably would be a bit better with a gen2 but there is a LOT of powder in a case that big and the concussion is huge. I want mine to be portable and be able to actually carry it in the field and kill stuff. Been talking to PTG, JGS, and Manson about reamers.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
yeah, my 338wsm should be here shortly from Mac's. Maybe i should just be satisfied with what i have instead of chasing dreams.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
Never be satisfied. If we all did that everyone would be shooting a 308! How boring would that be? Big Grin

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Yes that would be boring, but i have lots of toys to play with. And NO 308!!
Thanks for playin' along! laugh

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
If you're looking at the RUM or Lapua, definitely check the .338 Edge. Better performance than either the RUM or Lapua. Wasn't an SP, but it got the opportunity to run an Edge next to my Lapua. No contest between the two. I've debated an Edge for sometime after running that one.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The edge is a good one for sure. Dies are a bit pricey though compared to a Lapua. I'm curious how much difference a guy would see between a edge, lapua, rum and dakota in SP length barrels.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
That's a good question Aaron. I don't think you'd see a lot of difference in performance between them in the SP length tubes.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
just exploring possibilities, will probably wind up building a 330 Dakota.Nothing wrong with that! How is the recoil with 285 amax and Holland radial brake?Can you get full view with a rifle scope?

I have a rear grip XP chambered for the 338WSM and can't get anywhere near a full field of view with a rifle scope. (The gun has a McMillian bench stock, heavy palma barrel, and a center shot muzzle brake.)

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I can shoot my 7 dakota,7saum,300wsm with full view rifle scopes. Is the 338wsm that much worse?
Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Bullet weight does make a difference.
Like there was noticeable difference (big difference) in my 338 Lap Imp between the 250 and 300 grain bullets.
250 was like nothing, 300 big difference in recoil

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12179 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I understand that but,i am also going up in bullet diameter, and burning less powder than the Dakota.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
I shoot 225gr bullets in my 35WSM right at 2700fps. I've only shot it a few times with a rifle scope. No where near a full field of view and I still was really close to getting smacked. Its got a barrel that ends at 1" and a 3 port muscle brake. I think the holland is a bit more efficient but its still not gonna let you have full field of view. Unless you make it heavy. How much does your 7dak weigh?

Aaron

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
IIRC it is about 9 lbs. My rear grip 7saum is around 12. Do you use a rifle scope on that 35wsm? Or do you just push your scope. Seems to me i remember your pistol has a 15" barrel? Mine will wear an 18" plus brake. Not sure yet how much difference that will make, but hopefully some. I guess i will find out when it shows up!
Thanks.

Sonny

This message has been edited. Last edited by: semperfi,

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
Sonny,
Mine does have a 14" barrel plus the brake. Going to a longer barrel will just get you more speed. Don't know where the extra weight of the barrel will equal the extra speed you'll get from the longer barrel. I don't use a rifle scope on my 35 anymore. With every shot its just too close even with pulling my head way back and not getting a full field of view. Could be that you grip the gun differently than I do. My 7 dak is really close to the same weight as yours and I don't get a full field of view. Close but not quite.

Hope it works out the way you want it to. Maybe the holland brake is more efficient enough to allow you to use the rifle scope.

Aaron

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Well after talking with Kirby, doesn't look like i will be going any bigger than 338 wsm. Do have a couple of Burris 3-12 pistol scopes just in case.[don't think i'll need them but you never know!] Now just waiting for the pistol to show up!
Thanks for all the input! Hi flag

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
hmm, a spare 3-12 LER. Might be interested in one of those... Big Grin

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12179 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Don't plan to get rid of them yet. Still have a 375jdj and a 375H&H Encore to put them on, unless i can sell them. whine

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Just curious how much difference is there between 338-26 Nosler and if you made a 338/375 Ruger? Is the Nos better, more efficient?

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4627 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
The Nos has more capacity.
quote:
Originally posted by Duffy:
Just curious how much difference is there between 338-26 Nosler and if you made a 338/375 Ruger? Is the Nos better, more efficient?

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ernie.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4627 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post