Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mount Login/Join 

posted
Hi All, new here just need your experience. just baught new leupold scope for my savage striker 308. it had a simons on it but my eyes are not what they used to e so wanted clearer scope. it had std leupold mounts but with new scope it moves under recoil. can you recomend base and ring combo for me. thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Add “friction pads” inside ring half or halves. Any sticky back labels cut to size will work. IF that is your only problem.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9427 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for info, i keep hearing round or flat top action? did they made two different actions for striker?

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
quote:
i keep hearing round or flat top action? did they made two different actions for striker?

The factory strikers will all be a flat for the top rear of the action. All newer savage rifles have a round top on the rear of the action. If you have custom rear grip savage made off an undesignated action it is probably a round rear. Any Savage base for mod 10,11,12 with a flat rear will fit on the original strikers.

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nightman, THanks! Finally it was explained! Been reading till my eyes bleed couldn't find answer!! Thanks. Any sugestions on rings? Shoud I use three or four rings?

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I use three on mine. Four if I have room.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Im putting an EGW picatinny base on my Striker when it goes back together, and will most likely use Vortex Pro 30mm rings as I’m putting a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x riflescope on top of it. It’ll be a braked and heavy barrel 308, so I’m not really concerned about recoil being a problem.

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The extra rings do two things. First help keep the scope from slipping, second keep the scope tube from flexing. The longer the tube the more it flexes.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
The more it flexes, the more likely it is to fail.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you want to use the Leopold rings, you might need to lap them. My standard set up is Weaver multi-slot base and Burris Signature Z-Rings (the ones w/ the plastic inserts). Using these rings, I no longer lap the rings. I usually use 2 rings until I get to bigger guns. I add a third ring at 30 caliber and above.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great info everyone! Thanks!! My base is on it's way and I will order rings after base is mounted and I know how high to go.

Thanks Again\