Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Whisper Login/Join 

Picture of Leupold Man
posted
Has anyone used the 300 whisper subsonic on whitetails? Would love info on this.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2320 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
I have taken numerous deer with my 300/Whisper/AAC using subsonic loads, my load is either 220 Hornadys or Sierra 220's both round nosed bullets, speeds are right at 1050fps. All my kills have been at 100 yards or less. if you put the bullet through the shoulder area they go right down. The farthest I had one run was around 30-35 yards that's when the bullet went through the lungs. Using a suppressor they just stumble around a few steps then pile up. At least that's been my experience with this round. I got my first Whisper back in the 80's and tried using 125 BT's at supersonic speeds, they worked but the deer always ran 30 to 50 yards at least before piling up. Those long 220 rn's really do a job on deer especially if you put them through a shoulder, they tumble their way through, I've never recovered a bullet.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10143 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
You mean like this

Have used 240 and 250 Sierra Match-good: 220 Sierra RN-very good, 186 gr. Lehigh Fracturing bullet- fair, 170 gr, Lehigh Fracturing double bullet (.17 ca, bullet inside of .30 cal. bullet. 4 nose pedals break off, base is intact, .17 cal. does it's thing...6 separate projectiles causing damage) -unbelievable, best Whisper bullet, 170 gr. Lehigh L'll Prick- .17 cal bullet sticking out of .30 cal. bullet-pretty good.
Longest shot 275 yards. Most shots with 170 Lehigh are instant drops-very rare with subsonics.
The 220 Sierra is my #1 groundhog bullet. Instant stops out to 250. Know of one large black bear taken with it, also.
So, yeah, I've done a few deer with my Whisper.

Posts: 1488 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I think it will be one of my next projects. Thanks for sharing.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2320 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post