Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Handgun Hunting! (ALL hunting)    New gun, new caliber and off hand kill!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New gun, new caliber and off hand kill! Login/Join 

posted
Recently I started a new job and since it is very flexible remote work, I could satisfy my need to go deer hunting this morning. It was a plan to go to public where I harvested a deer with my bow in October, and be back home by 10am and work. I left home in time and when I was waiting at the light, I decided to make a turn and go to public land where I didn't go at all since spring turkey season. Once I got in a parking, I realized that I didn't bring the gun (Encore 44 Mag) I intended to hunt with. Options were to drive 35 mins to get the gun and 35 mins back or to use my Glock 40 that I caried. Since I wanted to hunt right away, didn't want to wait, I loaded only 3 rounds in another magazine and went in. Came to the spot only 15 mins before legal shooting time. Since nothing was happening I started thinking to move to the west side of that land and check out there, no matter it was only 15-20 mins pass sunrise. I guess I wanted to hunt but I didn't want to be in one spot, I needed some action and in same time I was thinking nothing will happen. I was so wrong. I am getting up and one deer comes out on a trail about 40-50 yards in front of me. I was busted, deer started stomping. I drew my gun and placed red dot on front edge of his shoulder (deer was quartering towards me) and sent it.

Jump, stumble, ran and was down in about 30 yards. Once I came to it I saw it is a button buck. I realized that a lot needs to be done, quartering on the spot and rushing home. I realized that I didn't take photos once I was half way into quartering. 49 yards shot.

It looks like that this year is a new weapon efficiency year and early season success. I bought a new bow and harvested a buck less than two weeks later in early season. Now I bought my first 10 mm hangung and harvested a deer again less than two weeks later on the third morning of gun season.

Glock 40 in 10mm Auto and Underwood 180 grain XTP at 1300 fps did a great job. Bullet stoped in hide on the other side. Made a ton of damage inside.

Ohio public land tagged out, I can only hunt private till the rest of the season.

I will definitelly bring it next weeked when I go hunting some private land with my friends.

Posts: 250 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Does your success w/ the Glock mean the Encore is in danger of being "retired"?? laugh

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1614 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are having a really great year, congratulations.

Posts: 901 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I have been eyeballing the Glock 40 for a while, nice to hear of positive outcomes with one.

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2109 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Glad the XTP worked for you. I tested them in my .40 S&W on 6 or so deer. Did terrible with poor damage, no fast put downs.
Might want to try 165 gr. Sierra JHCs. They were fantastic in my .40 Sig. Better than Gold Dots, casts, XTPs.

Posts: 1805 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Congrats! Definitely a hunt I'd like to try but can't use semi auto handguns in the state for ANY hunting! furious

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19674 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Great Job. Keep buying and keep shooting.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3472 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the successful hunts and a great shot.

Formerly Redle**1B

Posts: 212 | Location: PA | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thumbup thumbup

Posts: 715 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Chris

Posts: 643 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents!

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
Very cool, Congrats! Definitely a hunt I'd like to try but can't use semi auto handguns in the state for ANY hunting! furious

Yes, PA has not the best rule about it, especially for small game where they allow semiautomatic rifles but not handguns.

quote:
Originally posted by Bobcat:
Congrats! I have been eyeballing the Glock 40 for a while, nice to hear of positive outcomes with one.

I can't recommend it enough. Love it!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
Congratulations! Does your success w/ the Glock mean the Encore is in danger of being "retired"?? laugh

Nah, that's still my favorite pistol. With WVHItman loads I'm shooting sub MOA.

quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
Glad the XTP worked for you. I tested them in my .40 S&W on 6 or so deer. Did terrible with poor damage, no fast put downs.
Might want to try 165 gr. Sierra JHCs. They were fantastic in my .40 Sig. Better than Gold Dots, casts, XTPs.

Doc, please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that those extra 200fps 10mm gets compared to 40 (slow and weak as 10mm guys call it) make a difference.

Posts: 250 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I’ve been wanting a 10mm for quiet awhile. The Glock 40 is at the top of my wish list.

----------------------------------
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 200 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Mladen, the extra velocity helps with most bullets in the 10mm, but I think the 165 Sierras will give you better results and faster kills.

Posts: 1805 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post