Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 W.V. Deer hunt. Login/Join 

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted
Once again my good friend Doc Rogers and I had our annual W.V. deer hunt on his farm. Always a great host, Doc allowed me first honors on a buck. We watched group of does feed for an hour but I wanted to shoot a buck first. I had two buck tags and one doe tag. After a while a small buck appeared at 200 yards and I loaded a round in my HSP 7 saum and lined up the shot. As I squeezed the trigger the gun would not fire! I opened the bolt removed the round and tried again to no avail. The gun would not stay cocked, it had worked fine when I checked my zero prior to the trip. So much for that buck! I had used that same gun the past two years with no hint of a problem. When I got home the gun was fine and the only thing I can think of was the cold temp. was at a point that caused something to change. The trigger was not coated with anything that would cause it to freeze or gum up. I had my S&W 629 Classic in .44 Mag. along for a close shot loaded with the new Hornady Handgun Hunter 200 grain ammo. Mid-morning, Doc whispered "Get your revolver ready, here comes a buck". The buck was walking in front of our building 50 yards away. We both yelled to get him to stop but he kept his pace and ignored us. I put the crosshairs on his chest and led him a little and fired. At the shot he kicked and stumbled and ran into the brush. After a brief search Doc called me over and said "Look what you just shot "As#hol@"! The buck was an 8 point, largest deer in my whole hunting life. Below is a photo of the deer and the ammo and recovered bullet. The bullet expanded to .693" and weighed 203 grains ( 200 grain bullet ) due to the attached tissue. So it more or less maintained 100% of it's original weight. The bullet penetrated both lungs but did not exit and leave a blood trail. Thanks to Doc I finally filled a long-time dream! Further down is a photo of a 4 point that I shot the second day with Doc's 6.5-.284.

Posts: 901 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
The ammo.

Posts: 901 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
The 4 point.

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
What a great hunting trip! Congratulations, Mike!

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1782 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Happy for you my friend!
Glad you had such a good trip.
Derek. >>>——————>

Posts: 884 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What a great story! Thanks for sharing with us...and congrats on your best-ever buck. He is indeed a bruiser.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4608 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great trip.

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2109 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Very cool, congrats!!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19674 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
That big boy was 18" wide. The biggest buck killed om my farm since I've owned it. Notice how broke up he is. I pretty sure I saw the one that did it last year, like 130-140+ out of my bow range. A neighbor saw him last day of season last year with no shot. I think he's still alive.
Notice the Hornady bullet. We recovered it just outside the shoulder blade on the opposite side. Caused about 2" of internal damage and bloodshot meat. I don't trust a revolver bullet that won't exit a deer. This one behaved like most XTPs I used in my .454- little damage, no exit. Think I'll pass on this bullet.
I'm glad it worked (so-so) for Mike.
Mike did the 4 point with a 125 NPT. The der was facing us. There were lots of very tiny exits just beyond the shoulder. I'm sure that's from the nose breaking up on the bone. As much as I like ABs, I'm becoming a rapid fan of NPTs.
Two bucks in 2 days. One of your better years , Mike. I might not be so gracious next year for the first shot!!!!!!

Posts: 1805 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice deer, congrats on the big one you stole from Doc! Cool

Posts: 571 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2693 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great job. Hunting with Doc is always fun!

Posts: 250 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You can’t beat a hunt with friends

Chris

Posts: 643 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice buck, Smile

Posts: 715 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike, Congratulations on some really nice deer and an even nicer hunt w/ a friend. Big Grin

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1614 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post