Specialty Pistols
Louisiana Whitetail Adventure

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3646077864/m/1590041107

December 01, 2021, 02:24 PM
Sawfish
Louisiana Whitetail Adventure
Due to time and distance, I seldom get the chance to hunt my home state of Louisiana. So an invitation to open the Whitetail season with my cousin on his Louisiana farm was most welcome. The weather was unseasonably warm, so the deer were keeping their activities to a minimum. Two days on the stand passed without a glimpse of a deer. Our other two hunters had seen deer and one had killed a small fork horn. My stand was situated in a marshy area with lots of brush. Looked like a good area to me so I politely declined the offers to move me to a getter area and chose to hang fast in the swamp. My perseverance was rewarded shortly after dawn on day three. A deer had emerged from the swamp but was hanging close to the thicket to conceal his headgear. As the swamp grew lighter the antlers of a shooter buck were revealed. I set up for the shot and admired the beefy frame and thick barrel of the Contender.

The little gun as envisioned by J. D. Jones was chambered for the .358 JDJ sometimes referred to as the .358 x .444 because it is based on the .444 Marlin case necked down to 35 Caliber. This Little Beast delivers the power of a .358 Winchester rifle in a handgun sized package. Its throaty roar and hefty recoil leave no doubt that you have indeed encountered a J.D. Jones “Hand Cannon”. Squeezing the trigger on the Contender destroyed the reverie of the forest and put my quarry unto full flight. I mentally replayed the aftermath of the shot. My sight picture was good. Tail down. Flat out running. No leaping. All of these can be indicators of a fatal hit.

I received a text from Cousin asking about the shot. Told him I thought it was 50/50 without inspection. We agreed to wait two hours before taking up the trail. After the appropriate wait and a little searching, we found a handsome Louisiana Swamp Buck piled up a next the creek bank. The little JDJ had done its job as had the 200 grain Remington Core-Lokt. The old deer sported a perfect 8 Point Rack and weighed 160.2 pounds.

T/C blued Contender frame; Custom 10.5” barrel with MagNaport porting. Simmons 2 x 7 scope clamped to a TSOB base by four Weaver Grand Slam rings. Custom tuned trigger, fitted with Pachmayer Gripper grips and forend. Standard hunting load is the R-P 200 gr PSP over 53.0 gr. of AA-2520. Distance to kill 71 yards.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling
December 01, 2021, 02:55 PM
bjlatt
Congratulations, that is a nice deer!
December 01, 2021, 03:03 PM
rusty shackleford1
Nice little buck. Where were you hunting. I live about half way between Ball & Pollock, just north of the Alex./Pineville area. I grew up at Larto and love hunting the swamps. I've hunted in and around the Saline swamp and the Dewey Wills WMA all my life.
December 01, 2021, 03:27 PM
Sawfish
North of Farmerville (NE LA). I lived in Alexandria for a while and hunted in your same spots. Moved to California but still have a place around Columbia.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling
December 01, 2021, 03:53 PM
Bobby Tomek
You are on a roll...congrats!!! That is another very nice buck, and the mass of the antlers certainly capture one's attention. I enjoyed all of the details in your story -- felt like I was there.

Thanks for sharing, and congrats again!
December 01, 2021, 04:21 PM
Magnum Mike
Very nice!! Great looking buck.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

December 01, 2021, 06:40 PM
gman628
Congrats on another nice deer this year, and nice story too!
December 01, 2021, 07:34 PM
Gary T
Congratulations, Sawfish. Smile Having lived in NW LA a long time, I can assure you your deer's not the usual "if it's brown, it's down" deer we usually see in LA. Eek Good job on a nice deer. I didn't realize you're a native of Louisiana. I graduated from college in Monroe (NLU at the time, but now ULM) and had a sister and her family who lived in Farmerville about 30 years or so. Thx for sharing your hunt w/ us. I enjoyed reading it. thumbup

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.
December 01, 2021, 07:43 PM
Leupold Man
Congrats great buck!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
December 01, 2021, 08:04 PM
Pa. Mike
Excellent, congratulations on a great buck! thumbup thumbup
December 01, 2021, 09:02 PM
Mech8
Nice buck, and great write-up!
December 02, 2021, 06:09 AM
Bobcat
Congrats on another nice buck!

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee
December 02, 2021, 08:35 AM
WV Hitman
Great deer. Always good to use one of JD's masterpieces.
December 02, 2021, 10:23 AM
BT
Well done and congratulations.

----------------------------------------

December 02, 2021, 04:05 PM
Ramon
Very nice deer. Yes the 358 JDJ is a good caliber. Have a 14'' that has never let me down.Like your writeup with details.
December 02, 2021, 05:57 PM
Sawfish
Thanks.

Rudyard Kipling
December 03, 2021, 02:31 AM
Predator_huntin
Congrats on a very nice buck!

Chris
December 03, 2021, 02:49 AM
grandpasj
Good looking buck, love those JDJ hand cannons.