Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Steel Shooting    NRA Hunters Pistol Equipment Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA Hunters Pistol Equipment Questions Login/Join 

posted
Hello All,

I Just ordered a new Stainless G2 for NRA Hunters pistol silhouette. Thinking I will get a .22 LR match barrel and a 22 Hornet barrel to participate in the discipline. My questions are:

1. Are custom made 12" barrels permitted or factory barrels only? (It is not clear to me when reviewing the rule book)
2. What is the best grip/forend setup, scope base and rings to make weight? (I will be using a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR scope)

Thank you

Posts: 13 | Location: South Western, PA | Registered: September 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
Buy a ten inch. Then you can shoot both NRA and IHMSA. You may be near the match in western PA. Check it out on the IHMSA website.

Greg
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Ed Instructor
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

Posts: 1118 | Location: CENTRAL KY | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg appreciate the response. I found a shoot about an hour North of Pittsburgh and have contacted the match Director for more information.

Thanks again!

Posts: 13 | Location: South Western, PA | Registered: September 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMM:
Thanks Greg appreciate the response. I found a shoot about an hour North of Pittsburgh and have contacted the match Director for more information.

Thanks again!

That appears to be the place I was talking about. You should have been in contact with Doug Edney. He's a great guy and will steer you in the right direction. Glad I could help.

p.s. You're apparently not too far from the range in Midvale Oh. Check that out also.

Greg
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Ed Instructor
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

Posts: 1118 | Location: CENTRAL KY | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes Doug responded with information so good to go there. Tusco is about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Looks like a beautiful range so I may make the trip once or twice.

One question are custom barrels permitted or do they have to be factory?

Thanks!

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMM:
Yes Doug responded with information so good to go there. Tusco is about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Looks like a beautiful range so I may make the trip once or twice.

One question are custom barrels permitted or do they have to be factory?

Thanks!

If you intend to shoot field pistol, which is equivalent to hunters pistol. You can use aftermarket barrels in IHMSA. There are restrictions. Go to the IHMSA website and look at the rule book. Especially under guns and cartridges.

Greg
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Ed Instructor
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

posted Hide Post
IHMSA and NRA have differing rules on allowable barrel length. As Greg pointed out, go with the 10" barrel and you're legal for both disciplines. On the flip side, I think NRA has limits on scope height in their Hunters Pistol, so abide by that and you should be IHMSA legal as well. IHMSA rules are available on their website.

Posts: 763 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post