Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious Hunting Air Pistol Login/Join 

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted
Anyone on here into the serious hunting air pistols? I'm interested in looking into them. I'm just not sure where to begin looking...

Chris

Posts: 714 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Several have bought PCP air rifles and cut them down and made rear grips out of them.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3039 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWQkuFr9CQA

Looks like it would be fun. I've thought about it but I don't shoot my Taipan Mutant bullpup enough to warrant another airgun right now. But in my research I've read good things about the Ataman AP16 and the Benjamin Marauder Woods Walker they are both PCP guns.

Posts: 361 | Location: Lone Jack MO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Take a look a AirForce airguns. then have a look at the Talon P

Scott

Posts: 559 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paperpuncher:
Take a look a AirForce airguns. then have a look at the Talon P

Scott

I've been eyeballing that Talon P, it looks pretty nice.

Chris

Posts: 714 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already, check out some of the airgun blogs such as Gateway to Airguns, Airgun Warriors, and the Crosman Air Pistol Owners. Good people and usually helpful.
I've taken up shooting air pistols in my garage to get trigger time and am really having a good time with it.
For serious hunting, you probably want to look at PCP. Considerably more expensive than pumpers or CO2. I'm a target shooter, so I don't need the power of PCP. If there is an Academy Sports near you, they sell the Crosman 13xx [77 or 22 for .17 or .22] for $50. That and $10 worth of pellets will get you started into making life miserable for the local tree rats. The 13xx can be modded extensively if that floats your boat.
Good luck and good airgun shooting. Smile

Posts: 97 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will check those out, the price is great on it I was just wanting to stay away from a multi pump for hunting as I think pumping it would scare every tree rat away for miles...

Chris

posted Hide Post
It's really not too bad and the 13XX pistols work with variable pumps depending on your range and purpose. Max is 11 or 12 on an unmodified pistol.
I have literally shot indoors at 3 pumps without the wife in the next room complaining. Above 4, a 'pop' develops, but moderators are not restricted on air guns in the US, for now.

Posts: 97 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knucklehead 61:
It's really not too bad and the 13XX pistols work with variable pumps depending on your range and purpose. Max is 11 or 12 on an unmodified pistol.
I have literally shot indoors at 3 pumps without the wife in the next room complaining. Above 4, a 'pop' develops, but moderators are not restricted on air guns in the US, for now.

I'm going to try to pick one up soon, I think it will be handy enough to have even if I get a more expensive one down the road. I can't find the Talon P in stock anywhere.

Chris

posted Hide Post
Knucklehead are you using any sort of optic on yours or just the iron sights?

Chris

posted Hide Post
Mine is currently 'blister pack stock'!! I'm waiting on my first shipment of parts for a trigger upgrade and a new front sight.
I'm shooting a 5 meter indoor target with open sights. My 70+ y.o. eyes are quite challenged by the oem sights though, but my offhand shooting is improving.
Lots of folks do add a reflex optic, you'll probably need to upgrade to a steel breech for that. Did I mention that upgrading is a popular past-time with airgun fans?
Prowl the airgun forums for more info. Smile

posted Hide Post
I have a Benjamin P-rod, Talon-P and a couple 1377's. Love shooting the 1377's (one scoped and the other open sights), and when the TalonP is up and running have used to kill a 50ish-yd prairie dog and jackrabbit...once.

My scoped 1377 has a 2X Centerpoint on it, and an old aftermarket Stoney Point target turret that fits it perfectly. Have shot it out to 100 yds. screwing around, and it is definitely fun (10 gr. pellet at 400 mv @ 10 pumps).

Also have a couple airgun pistols in the Philippines I use a lot over there both CO2. One's a little put-together rig I got from a buddy in Mindanao that has a Weaver base steel-epoxied to the barrel with a 2X pistol scope on it--great rat-killer. The other is an Eskopeta Undertaker model I had custom-made that looks a lot like an SP. Have a 3-9X scope on it both are very accurate.

When you get your 13XX google the trigger mods. I put the empty 22 case mod and squeeze trigger spring adjustment, and both triggers trip at ~1.5 lbs. now super simple to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sscoyote,

Steve

Posts: 2648 | Location: Pueblo, CO USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a TalonP
Great gun, and yes, technically it is classified as a pistol, but no, it is not.
I put a MadDog stock on mine and let it become the carbine that it really is.
The stock and the moderator were two very justified purchases for this fine gun.

Posts: 40 | Location: Bastrop Texas | Registered: January 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Mohme:
I have a TalonP
Great gun, and yes, technically it is classified as a pistol, but no, it is not.
I put a MadDog stock on mine and let it become the carbine that it really is.
The stock and the moderator were two very justified purchases for this fine gun.

Jerry,

Thanks for the post! I've still not pulled the trigger on a good one yet. I did get a 1377 for backyard playing, but not spent a lot of time with it as work has kept me busy busy over the winter. I'm hoping to change that some. I'm still looking at the TalonP myself...

Chris

posted Hide Post
Really there aren't alot of off the shelf options for pistols. The Benji Prod or TalonP are really pistolgrip carbines. Big bucks too like the imports and PCPs with extensive support systems. BUT your "self contained" 1377 can be suitably modified for small game with the plethora of 'easily installed' aftermarket parts, time and dedication. Because I didn't like pumping I went insane with a 2240; adding a LH metal breech, 12".25 barrel, Quackenbush designed extended valve, flow-thru bolt, enlarged gas ports, hammer spring adjuster, new springs, trigger mods, super sear, custom wood grips, Tasco-Pro handgun scope in BKL mount, more, that took me 3 years to put together, and OMG please don't ask me what it cost. But I did it all by myself 12 years ago, and I've yet to match it, so... yeah! All parts made in USA too, except the vintage Japanese scope. Oh, Walmart pellets DO NOT cut it! NO... You gotta get the primo brands online. Have fun. Smile

Think as if your LIFE depends on it..!

Posts: 42 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Check out AEA airguns.They have a variety of options from .22, .25 .30 .357 .45 calibers some 100 ft lbs of energy.
For pistols they have AEA HP Semiauto SS in .22 .25 .30Cal. 30cal has 50FPE from 8" barrel but over all length is still 20". These are PCP.

Scott

Posts: 559 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post