Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wild Game Recipes    Summer Sausage recipe/kit?

Moderators: Hillbilly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Sausage recipe/kit? Login/Join

Picture of J A
posted
Who's got a good recommendation for a spice mix/kit or a good recipe? I need to use up 20-plus pounds of venison and summer sausage seems like the perfect use for it.
Thanks!

Posts: 2403 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
This seasoning is really good. I usually add 30-50% pork butt to venison. Cold smoke is my favorite, but if you’re not set up for that, submerging the sticks in water in an electric roaster, heat meat to an internal temperature of 160* degrees works great, too (adjust roaster to approx. 180*) Once the internal temp is reached, remove from the water and place directly into a cooler full of ice to bring the temperature down quickly. Allow to dry then vac seal.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/h-summer-sausage-seasoning

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1721 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
Thanks!! thumbup

Posts: 2403 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J A:
Thanks!! thumbup

You’re welcome. If you decide to go with the cooked method and have anymore questions, hit me up. I was sort of brief in my description above.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that! I may want to try the cook. I have big heated kettles for homebrewing and could easily set up a big "double-boiler" system and hold precisely at any temp. It's impossible to do a cold smoke here in this heat but I could probably do a low-temp hot smoke.
I'd definitely like to do the full ferment also, but smoked, dry-cured smoked version or cooked version would be just fine.
Does this spice mix have any citric acid to add a little tang or would it need something added (citric acid, red wine vinegar)?

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
LOL Your first question, I can not answer. I don’t know if it has citric acid or not. I don’t add anything to it and that would probably require experimentation per the individual making it, adjusting for taste.

One thing I do when making any type of sausage or brats, is I mix the spices in a bowl or measuring cup with an ice cold liquid, such as water, Sprite, beer, etc. You can use about anything. But the liquid helps distribute the spices more evenly when you pour it across ground meat in a meat tub, rather than simply sprinkling the spices. Just blends easier and prevents getting too much or too little spices in an area. It also aids in keeping the meat cool as you blend it all together, which naturally causes the meat to warm up some. I use my hands, some use a mechanical tumbler. The liquid will be absorbed by the meat, though you want to prevent adding too much liquid and causing it to become soupy. Whichever liquid is chosen, may tilt flavor a little, but not much.

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
You probably already know this, but when smoking meat, you definitely want to use a cure as well. If I recall correctly, a small packet of cure comes with the seasoning I mentioned above. The cooking method will not require cure.

You mentioned a low heat smoke, I believe the recommended Max heat would be 70*, I’d try to keep it well under that. Difficult to do when ambient temps are already above 70.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
Yes, the spice mix comes with a cure pack, according to the web site. I've hot-smoked sausages before, essentially cooking with low heat rather than allowing the smoke/salt cure to do all the work. Here's an excerpt from a recipe from their web site that describes the hot-smoke method I'd use:

Thermal Processing

Either hang on smoke sticks or lay on racks in your smokehouse or oven. Just be sure to leave a slight gap between the Summer Sausages. A simple cooking schedule you can follow is here:
125F for 1 hour
140F for 1 hour
155F for 2 hours
175F until internal meat temp of 160F

Keeping it from rendering and dripping all the fat out is the hard part. Smile

I'll have 25 lbs or more. I could do some with the smoker and some with the water method.

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Yep, those cooking methods will work, as well. Just look for that 160* internal temp. If you try the water bath, be certain to have the water pretty hot already when you put the sticks in there. The cool meat will bring the water temp down quite a bit temporarily. Let us know how it all goes.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BT:
Yep, those cooking methods will work, as well. Just look for that 160* internal temp. If you try the water bath, be certain to have the water pretty hot already when you put the sticks in there. The cool meat will bring the water temp down quite a bit temporarily. Let us know how it all goes.

I'm used to dealing with that with brewing. Grain mash needs to hit a certain temp and you have to calculate the weights and temps of the water and grain to get it to hit the right numbers. Same principle works with the meat. It'll be interesting. I'll definitely post some results when I get it all together.
Thanks for the help!

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
Hangin' and chillin'! Smile
Finally got a chance to do some grinding and stuffing so I have 25 lbs of venison/pork summer sausage ready to go in the smoker tomorrow and almost 25 lbs of venison/pork breakfast sausage ready to vacuum pack.

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Lookin good! Which recipe did you go with?

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
I got the H Summer Sausage that you linked. I added a little balsamic vinegar, red wine and lactic acid to replace the fermented-tangy flavor of a proper aged sausage but otherwise just as it came.
The cook-test flavor was great. Can't wait to see what just a little smoke does for it. It's in the smoker now. I modified my old cabinet to take a 1500 watt element and I'm just adding a few maple chips along the way, so it's mostly getting low heat with a small dose of smoke every little bit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J A,

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Sounds great to me!

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
The smoker was pretty full and I got uneven heat. I had to end up finishing most of them in a water bath in the oven to get them all to a good temp from end to end. Next time I'll smoke half as many at a time and count on the water bath to finish. It's a much more efficient transfer of heat.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
It made for a very good sausage, though. For as much venison as it is (70%) the texture is quite good. The flavor is classic, though I'd like to find a way to make it a little less salty and definitely will add cracked pepper to any future batches. We'll have plenty in the freezer and it's good enough that I'll be proud to share it with friends and family.
Thanks for the suggestion! thumbup

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
I haven’t experienced that seasoning being too salty. 70/30 should be alright, but sometimes I even do 50/50. Adding Sprite while blending in the seasoning will give a slight sweetness as well. And a liquid helps distribute more evenly. Sounds like for the most part it turned out pretty well. It might vary a little stick to stick, could be a heavier pocket of seasoning here or there.

It seems like each batch I make, even if I don’t do anything to change the process, it usually turns out ever so slightly different each time. I think room temperature, drying times, smoker temps and humidity variables have some affect. It’s no exact science when we make it at home, but close.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
I added a couple of quarts of liquid all-told and my son and I hand-mixed for most of 20 minutes to work in the seasoning and emulsify whatever fat was there. I suspect that the balance of fat and acid (either fermentation or added) has an effect on the perception of salt flavor, too. As I mentioned, I'm quite pleased with it and I'll use it again and experiment with some different additives. I know that I need to tweak the process so I get a more consistent and little quicker cook on it.
I just hope my friends and family like it a lot...I'll have plenty to share. Smile

I'm hoping to get a pig or two soon and I'll use full wild pork for a batch if I can.